Thursday, November 13, 2008

Christian...

Ok, here comes controversy...


Labels.


Christian. Born-again. Evangelical. Reformed.


Un-christian. Post-christian. Recovering (-ed) christian. Jack-christian. Nu-christian. Post-modern christian. Emerging and emergent christians.


I have struggled with the label of being a "christian" for a little while, but it has definitely raised it's uglier head as of late. I have no shame in publicly disclosing that I believe in something wholly unprovable and potentially ridiculous and naive to some. I am ok with that. I am ok with having differing opinions and standards than other christians. I'm even ok when my faith is called into question, or flat out denied, by other christians due to my beliefs.


The problem comes when I am lumped into the same category as a hateful Fred Phelps (at worst) or a conservative "Evangelical" (at best) because we share the label "christian." I want people to know that we are not all the same, much like not all Muslims are fanatical terrorists.


I want the "left" to embrace me as one of their own, as I am. I want "christians" to embrace my faith even if they disagree with my politics and acceptance of others, much as I accept their faith, in spite of their politics and treatment of those in divergent lifestyles from their own.


Does this mean that I need a new "label"? Well, I'm open to the idea. Or do I need to keep fighting to change the dogmatic ideas in my own religion (I use that word carefully) that I disagree with?


I'm open to ideas....

2 comments:

stephy said...

I have trouble calling myself a Christian these days and keep changing my facebook religious views thingy. For awhile it was "post-christian." Then it was "Obama." It's just too big of a deal to be summarized in one word, I think.

Susannah said...

as you know i've thought lots about this. i think i have most commonly said "i try to follow in the ways of jesus"