Saturday, November 29, 2008

Life is Cheap...




I was saddened to read about the death of a seasonal Wal-Mart employee in Long Island. As he went to open the doors at 5 in the morning, the crowd of 2,000 shoppers created a surge that ended up breaking the doors off of their hinges and sending about 200 people trampling over the 34 year old man.


Not to be outdone, two idiots decided to get into a wild west style shootout at a Toys R Us in Palm Desert, killing each other.


Perhpas I'm getting old, wait, I am getting old, but my sensitivities seem to be getting less calloused to senseless death. I live in Oakland, I get that people die for no good reason, especially here. I get that people die in terrorist attacks because kids grow up brainwashed by fanatical ego-maniacs to think that their "enemies" deserve to die. I guess I'm just fed-up with life being so degraded and cheapened. Life has become a fucking "rollback," "doorbuster" sale, so insignificant that it is being killed by consumerism. Literally.


And let's not forget Abraham Biggs, 19, that killed himself on justin.tv. He took a handful of pills and turned his webcam on, while the online "community" egged him on. Are you serious?


What have we become?

2 comments:

stephy said...

This sucks. Not to be too existential (however you spell that) but I'm not so sure we've become anything...I think we've always been this way.

Monte said...

love the new header photo. this wal mart thing freaks me out. i mentioned it in our worship gathering this past sunday, praying for the family of that guy and for us to be freed of the chains of over-the-top-narcissistic consumerism that would lead to stampeding someone for a wii, a talking elmo doll, of hsm3 dance set. scary. good words. thanks for the reflective journey.