Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Thanks Connecticut, Not Arkansas...

Connecticut...


... for some cool architecture, not having a city with more than 150,000 people and allowing same sex couples to marry.


Some of us in the liberal minority in Conservative California applaud you.


Arkansas, on the other hand... well let's create a law the makes it even harder for people to adopt children in need. Let's pass a law that does not let any unmarried person adopt or foster a child. Hmmm... did they just outlaw divorce along with this? WTFF (the first f is for flying)? Ugh... I'm starting be 'down on' the word marriage.


So Mother Teresa herself would not be allowed to adopt or foster a child in backwards-ass Arkansas?


Sometimes I think we need to stop worrying about 'Islamo-fascists' and start worrying about our own home-grown fanatics. I'm less worried about a dirty bomb going off in the Bay Area, than I am about my blog getting shut down when these 'religo-terrorists' get enough signatures to put it on the ballot and the, gulp, vote for it.


Unfortunately I can hear the Religious Right, Neo-Con, Moral Majority, Traditional Values, American Values, Rick Warren, James Dobson, Fred Phelps chant... "Viva la Revolucion"... and it scares me. And yes, The Purpose Driven Rick Warren just got bumped on my list in the same category as hate-monger Fred Phelps.


John 11:35.


Here's the thing that sucks. I want to tell these people to love others, despite their differences, but I'm having a hard time doing that in their direction. So I wear my hypocrisy on my sleeve... I want religions to be "allowed" - to have the right - to preach a message that divides, separates, hurts, or is just plain stupid, but I don't want them, or me, to be able to vote / legislate it. See, the way I see it, the more divisive you are as a group, the less viable you become. Even the KKK had to label Obama a "mulatto" since he is half white... but does anyone even care? Hardly, because the KKK is losing it's status in a larger culture that tries to accept more.



Jesus says to "love you neighbor as yourself," and let me tell you something... I love me. I love me a lot, sometimes too much.

No comments: